break housing

Break Access/Holiday Housing

Closedown/Break Periods

The University has three official academic year break periods: fall break, the break between the fall and spring semesters, and spring break. During these break periods, residence hall buildings close and all residents are required to leave for the entire period. Personal belongings may be left in the room during the break periods. Please refer to Important Dates page to view the actual dates for each break.

Break Access/Holiday Housing

To accommodate students who are unable to travel home during these time periods or who need to stay on campus during the closedown periods, Housing offers a Break Access/Holiday HFS Contract. Students who preference Break Access/Holiday housing in advance of the HFS Contract period will be assigned to a designated set of buildings in the Pollock Housing Area (Beaver or Hartranft), South Housing Area (McElwain), West Housing Area (Hamilton), and Eastview Terrace (Brill and Curry (if needed, Miller). Students with a Break Access/Holiday Housing HFS Contract will not be required to leave the residence hall during the closedown periods. During the break periods, staff will be available in the building to assist with emergencies. Although the dining halls are closed during closedown periods, there will be limited food service operations available on campus during specified hours. The Campus Meal Plan remains active during closedown periods, and students may use their meal plan for purchases. Students assigned to Break Access/Holiday Housing will be charged an additional room fee per semester for this service. No refunds are processed if a student does not stay for all or any part of the closedown periods. The Break Access/Holiday Housing HFS Contract cannot be canceled.

Break Access/Holiday Housing can be requested either by selecting the option as a preference on the HFS Contract or by contacting the Housing Assignment Office.