To be considered for an apartment lease at White Course, applicants must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- The primary tenant (lease holder) must be a registered student at Penn State.
- Leases for single-student apartments are available to request by graduate students and returning adults only. Undergraduate students interested in a single-student apartment must have a Housing and Food Service (HFS) Contract.
- Single students cannot reside in family apartments with other single students.
- Family apartments are available to request by both undergraduate and graduate students with family members that will be residing with them during their tenure at Penn State.
- One-bedroom apartments are reserved exclusively for primary tenants who have a spouse/domestic partner and/or one child. Once all applicants have been satsified, single students will be considered for one-bedroom apartments if space permits (lease will only be available for one person).
- Two- and three-bedroom apartments are reserved exclusively for primary tenants who have a spouse/domestic partner and multiple family members.
- Family members are defined as follows:
- Dependent children (under 18 years of age) of the primary tenant. Children over the age of 18 are considered adults. If the primary tenant has a dependent child over the age of 18 living with them, the primary tenant must provide written verification of legal dependent status (such as a recent income tax filing).
- Custodial children (under 18 years of age) of the primary tenant or custodial children (under 18 years of age) of the primary tenant's spouse/domestic partner.
- Employment - no tenant shall be employed by The Pennsylvania State University in any position which entitles such student to employment benefits other than wages, salary, or stipend.
Priority - Lease Offers
Graduate student applicants new to the University will be given priority to request a White Course lease for available apartment space. Current off-campus continuing graduate students will be considered if there is space remaining.
Priority for receiving a lease offer for a family apartment at White Course is given in this order:
- Primary tenants with dependent or custodial children under the age of 18.
- Primary tenants with spouses/domestic partners and no children.
- Primary tenants with other eligible immediate family members.
- Primary tenants with other types of members, as defined below, cannot be considered for a space on campus until students with families as identified in steps 1-3 have been processed, and then only if there is space available.
- Parents of the primary tenant or parents of the primary tenant's spouse/domestic partner.
- Grandparents of the primary tenant or grandparents of the primary tenant's spouse/domestic partner.
Occupancy guidelines for the family apartments are as follows:
- One-bedroom: limit of three occupants for families; limit of one occupant for single student
- Two-bedroom: limit of five occupants
- Three-bedroom: limit of six occupants
If a primary tenant is requesting a larger space than necessary (for example, a two-bedroom for three occupants), the request will be held until all other eligible families have been allocated a space. Tenants requesting a larger apartment who do not have children will not be considered until families with children have been assigned. If a tenant exceeds the occupancy limits of an apartment, the tenant will be considered for reassignment to an available apartment as space permits.