Spring Closedown Information
The end of spring semester will soon be here! The last day of class is Friday April 30, and finals will occur Monday May 3 through Friday May 7. University Housing will close either Saturday May 8 or Sunday May 9, depending upon housing area. Students living at a Commonwealth Campus should visit their appropriate campuses' Housing and Food Services webpage for closedown information.
- Saturday May 8 closure: all students living in East Halls must officially check-out of University Housing by 4:00 p.m.
- Sunday May 9 closure: all students living in other housing areas must officially check-out of University Housing by 4:00 p.m.
East Halls is closing on Saturday to accommodate the transition to Summer School housing and manage housing maintenance and construction projects.
CHECK OUT PROCESS
Students should follow the check-out process as identified on the Move-Out page. Some key points:
- The room key MUST be returned to the Commons Desk. Failure to return a room key will result in a $64 per core charge fee.
TIP: You will receive an email confirmation when you check-out, indicating that your room key was received by the Commons Desk. Make sure that you receive that email when you turn your key in! Do not leave the desk until you receive email.
- Too many items to take home? Consider a donation to Goodwill! Goodwill collection bins will be available in the every residence hall from end of April through May 8/9.
- If you need storage options, please contact Storage Squad by April 30 to make arrangements.
- Once you officially check-out of Housing, your building clearance will be turned off and your Campus Meal Plan will no longer work.
- The spring semester Campus Meal Plan ends at 4:00 p.m. Sunday May 9; any remaining dining dollars are forfeited at that time.
GUIDELINES FOR SPRING CLOSING MOVE-OUT
- Plan your departure, all students must be moved-out by 4:00 p.m. either Saturday May 8 (East Halls residents) or Sunday May 9.
- Coordinate your move-out time to be a different time than your roommate, suite mates, or apartment-mates
- Consider departing during slower times, such as prior to 10:00 a.m. or after 7:00 p.m.
- Pack your items in advance! Be prepared for when your ride arrives, so they do not have to wait
- Do not linger in the buildings
- No guests are permitted in residence halls - the University's "no guest" policy is still in effect. However, when necessary, a student may have one individual assist with removing items from a student's room. This individual may not assist with packing, only with moving items from room to vehicle.
- The individual assisting with moving items is required to follow Penn State protocols for masking and physical distancing while on campus. Any person who is feeling ill or exhibiting symptoms should not travel to campus
- When your roommate is moving out and has one guest assisting, please consider spending that time in a different location to reduce possible exposure.
- Visitors may temporarily park in lots around residence halls, but must have flashers on and must leave within 20 minutes.
- Students are strongly encouraged to participate in COVID-19 testing before departure. Visit https://virusinfo.psu.edu/testing-support/ for information about testing options.