HFS Contract Exemptions

First-year students are required to reside on campus at University Park. A student may submit an exemption request from the residency requirement if one of these conditions is met: 

  1. The student is 21 years or older at the time of his or her initial registration with the University;
  2. The student is married and his or her spouse will be at the University;
  3. The student has actively served in the military prior to his or her admission to the University; or
  4. The student graduated from a high school in Centre County (only these high schools: State College, Bellefonte, Grace Prep, Centre County Christian Academy, Penns Valley, Bald Eagle, Philipsburg-Osceola, and Saint Joseph) and will be living with his or her parent or legal guardian in Centre County in a permanent residence (parent or guardian is a permanent Centre County resident and paying Centre County taxes). An exemption request may only be submitted for the entire academic year; exemptions will not processed in the fall to release a student for the spring semester. 

Unless a student meets one of these conditions, the expectation is for him or her to reside on campus for the full HFS Contract period.

Exemption Request Process

The student must submit the Housing Exemption Form (pdf file) prior to the deadline indicated, which is based on the student's semester of admittance.  If a student accepts the offer of admission to Penn State after the corresponding deadline, the Housing Exemption Form (pdf file) must be submitted within ten (10) days of the acceptance date. An Housing Exemption Form (pdf file) received after the deadline will not be processed. The student will be obligated financially for room and board charges for the full contract period.  Contract Release Requests to move home with the parent or legal guardian for the spring semester will not be honored. 

Semester of Admittance Submittal Deadline
Summer Session June 1
Fall Semester June 30
Spring Semester December 1

Sponsored International Students

First-year sponsored international students who are interested in a housing exemption must submit the Housing Exemption Form (pdf file) as well as two letters of support for living off campus, one letter from his or her parent or guardian, and one from the sponsoring entity. Exemption requests will only be considered once all three items are received. The student interested in a housing exemption should submit a completed Housing Exemption Form by June 30.  If the student accepts the admission to Penn State after June 30, the Housing Exemption Form (pdf file) must be submitted within ten (10) days of the acceptance date.  Exemption requests will not be accepted after the deadline and the student will be obligated financially for room and board charges for the full contract period.

Future HFS Contracts

A student who has been exempted from the residency requirement will be ineligible to participate in the Housing Contract Process for the following academic year. However, the student may add his or her name to the Supplemental Housing Waitlist when it opens, as identified on the process timeline. There is no guarantee that a HFS Contract offer will be made to the student.

Requesting a Housing Exemption

Submit the completed Housing Exemption Form (pdf file) to the Assignment Office. Exemption Requests are reviewed by a University committee, who meets on a regular basis. The Committee will review the request and a representative will respond to the student via email within 7-10* business days with confirmation or denial of request.

*The 7-10 business days is an estimate; during certain times of the year, the response time may be longer due to the volume of requests. The Committee has a set meeting scheduled, and requests to expediate a review will not be honored.