Each student living in University housing is responsible for the condition of his or her assigned room at the time of checkout. Roommates should develop a plan together for cleaning and returning the room back to its original move-in state. Cleaning supplies and vacuum cleaners are available at each commons desk.
- Fall semester: University housing closes at 4:00 p.m. on the day following the last scheduled examination for official University courses, as announced by the University Registrar.
- Spring semester: University housing closes at 4:00 p.m. two (2) days following the last schedule examination for official University courses, as announced by the University Registrar.
- Summer Session: University housing closes at Noon on Saturday, the day following the last scheduled examination for official University courses, as announced by the University Registrar.
- Early Building Closures: due to summer housing needs and contstruction projects, several residence halls will close a day early than the rest of campus. Students assigned to those buildings will be notified in advance. These buildings are used for Maymester housing, which begins on Sunday, the same day as spring closedown. Time is required to clean the building for use.
- Students are not permitted to stay beyond the official closing of University Housing
- Withdrawals: if a student withdraws from the University, the student must officially check-out within 24 hours.
Student should follow these instructions to move out of University Housing. Adhering to these instructions will avoid damage and cleaning charges being applied to the student's LionPATH account.
1. Checkout form and room inspection
A checkout form will be provided for each room (extras available at the area Housing Office).
- All roommates must complete the checklist of items on the checkout form for the side of room occupied, indicated which side of the room he or she occupied, and sign and date the form.
- The first roommate to depart may request a courtesy inspection. The last roommate to depart will schedule a courtesy inspection with a RA or Housing.
- Charges incurred from damages or cleaning will be assessed by Housing during a final inspection AFTER move-out.
2. Clean - ceiling/doors/walls/windows
- All decorations, stickers, and tape/sticky putty should be removed
- Both sides of room entrance door and closet/wardrobe doors should be cleaned
- Windows should be closed and locked, and curtains/blinds kept open
3. Clean - bathroom (if applicable)
- All personal belongings (check vanity cabinet and drawers) should be removed
- Toilet and stall area should be cleaned
- Shower area should be cleaned
- Vanity area (mirror, sink, cabinet) should be cleaned
- Floor should be swept
4. Clean - refrigerator/microwave unit
- Clean entire unit inside and outside
- Defrost refrigerator; leave unit plugged in and turned ON
5. Clean - room and common area (if applicable)
- Remove all personal belongings from room (carpet, clothes, etc.)
- Clean closets, dressers, and desks (including inside drawers)
- Floor should be swept or vacuumed
- All original furniture must be in place in the room
- Any Penn State-owned items that were placed in storage must be returned to room (assembled bed frames, mattresses, desk chairs, desk lamps, etc.)
6. Schedule a room inspection with Housing or your RA
Ready to leave?
- Turn off all lights
- Lock and secure room door
- Remove all trash to janitors closet or dumpster—do not leave trash in hallways
- Return room key (in the envelope provided under your door) and checkout form to the commons desk (or place in the key depository at the commons desk). Room key should NOT be placed in the U.S. mail slot, left with a friend, or left in in the room. If the ASSIGNED room key is not returned to the commons desk within 24 hours after student's last final exam, a core change will be processed and the student's LionPATH account will be charged.
MAIL & PACKAGES
- Pickup any packages from the Commons Desk
- Check your mailbox!
- Mail Forwarding: you are responsible for updating your permanent address in LionPATH to ensure that all US Postal Mail received after the student has checked out of University housing can be forwarded. Any packages received will either be forwarded or returned to sender for processing, depending upon the type of package and carrier. Students should update their address in online ordering systems.
The University has limited storage space, which is not available for student use. The items that a student brings to live in University housing must be stored in the student's room. If a student processes a room change for the spring semester, the University will provide information to students about the availability of storage options during the break period. The University is not responsible for damage to or loss of a student's personal belongings that are placed in a storage space.
The University is not able to provide storage at the end of spring semester, but will provide information to students about off-campus STORAGE OPTIONS that the student may use at his or her own expense.