The University is pleased to provide on-campus housing in South Halls for approved Panhellenic Sorority Chapters at Penn State. Housing works in collaboration with the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life. The sororities contribute greatly to the campus and town communities through many philanthropic activities. Each sorority chapter has an identified floor in a renovated residence hall in South Halls, with each floor housing between 26-33 students. Each floor also offers a private living room/kitchenette suite for exclusive use by chapter members. Each floor offers private, single-use bathrooms in the hallway area that are shared by floor occupants. Similar to a home, each bathroom is privately used by one individual. Additional sinks are located near the bathrooms to provide quick, easy use. Students living in chapter housing will accept a specific sorority chapter Housing and Food Service (HFS) Contract.
Panhellenic Chapter Housing Process
Students interested in living on campus and in Panhellenic Chapter Housing should participate in the University's housing process for Current Students. After the sorority recruitment process concludes in January (2021 - please confirm date with Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life), each sorority chapter will identify members who will live in Chapter Housing:
- Students who have already accepted a HFS Contract will have their contract type changed to the sorority chapter.
- Students who do not have a HFS Contract will receive an offer.
A summary of the housing process timeline:
- Oct 21-31: Request Housing in eLiving
- Nov: Receive housing invitation, select housing option, and accept a HFS Contract
- TBA: the sorority chapter will identify members to live in chapter housing
- Mar 1: HFS Contract offers will be made (those who already accepted a HFS Contract do not need to do anything - the HFS Contract type will be converted to the sorority chapter)
- Mar 4: HFS Contract offers expire at Noon
A few notes about the housing process:
- The HFS Contract cannot be cancelled for a student to live off campus. If a student is not selected to live on the chapter floor, the student will be assigned based on the housing option of the HFS Contract that the student accepted.
- If a student does not have a HFS Contract and is not selected to live in chapter housing, the student can still live on campus! The student will need to Request Housing in eLiving prior to noon January 31 to be eligible for the February invitation process. All students who Request Housing will be invited to live on campus.
- If a student accepts a HFS Contract for Chapter Housing, but then disaffiliates from the sorority, the student will be reassigned by the Assignment Office.
Eligibility for a student to receive a Housing and Food Service (HFS) Contract for a sorority chapter's housing space on the chapter floor is determined by the sorority chapter's Sorority Assistant, within the guidelines established in the Sorority Chapter Terms, Conditions, and Regulations. A list of all eligible members to reside on the chapter's floor must be submitted to the Assignment Office by the deadline date. Sorority Chapters must adhere to the Sorority Timeline for the housing process, which has specific dates that are relative to the sorority process.
If a vacancy exists on the sorority floor and there are no members to move into that space, the Housing Chair will be notified that room assignments may need to be consolidated and independent students (not affiliated with the chapter) may be assigned to the space.
Sorority members may use the Room Exchange eBoard in eLiving to process room changes during the advertised times that the eBoard is available. Sorority members may only switch rooms with other sorority members with the same type of Housing Contract. Sorority members assigned to medical rooms can only switch rooms with other sorority members assigned to medical rooms.
Refer to the Terms, Conditions, and Regulations related to the Sorority Chapters for additional details about the Housing Process.
- Sorority members are obligated to the HFS Contract Terms, Conditions, and Regulations.
- Sorority Chapters must adhere to the Terms, Conditions, and Regulations for Sorority Housing.
- Terms, Conditions, and Regulations 2019-2020
- Terms, Conditions, and Regulations 2018-2019
- Terms, Conditions, and Regulations 2017-2018
- Terms, Conditions, and Regulations 2016-2017
- Terms, Conditions, and Regulations 2015-2016
- Terms, Conditions, and Regulations 2014-2015
- Terms, Conditions, and Regulations 2013-2014
- Terms, Conditions, and Regulations 2012-2013