South Housing Area
South Housing Area is flanked by the Penn State campus on its northwestern side and downtown State College on the other. South Housing Area offers coed residence halls. Simmons and Atherton Halls are reserved for Schreyer Honors College students. Sorority chapters reside in Cooper, Cross, Ewing, Haller, Hoyt, and Lyons Hall. McElwain Hall houses independent students and is a designated Break Access/Holiday Housing building. Other available space is for uppper-class independent students. The majority of students share a double room with one roommate. Supplemental housing is offered in McElwain and Simmons Halls.
Learn more about South Housing buildings! View a map of the South Housing Area.
View building floor diagrams, room furnishings, and room diagrams and photos:
- Atherton: floors are coed and the building offers private-use bathrooms. This building accommodates first-year and upper-class students. Atherton is also home to the Schreyer Honors College offices.
- Chace: offers double-occupancy rooms for upper-class students. Floors are coed, with private-use bathrooms.
- Cooper, Cross, Ewing, Haller, Hoyt, and Lyons: houses women only to accommodate the sorority chapters, and offer private-use bathrooms.
- Hibbs and Stephens: offers double-occupancy rooms for upper-class students. Floors are coed, with private-use bathrooms.
- Cooper, Cross, Ewing, Haller, Hibbs, Hoyt, Lyons, and Stephens - single room
- McElwain, Simmons: designated coed on the floor - both genders are assigned to sections of the floor and each gender has a designated restroom to use on the floor. These buildings accommodate first-year and upper-class students.
Redifer Commons offers students a computer lab, Cultural Lounge, commons desk, and South Halls Residence Hall Association office. Redifer also offers the South Food District, a food court featuring several a la carte eateries, and the South Side Buffet (an all-you-care-to-eat dining commons). Louie's convenience store and evening snack bar are located upstairs.
Just a short distance from South Halls are the Penn State Bookstore, HUB-Robeson Center, and White Building, which offers swimming, aerobics, and basketball.
South Halls features the Schreyer Honors College as the Special Living Option, and students are assigned to Atherton and Simmons Halls.