TCRs Nittany and Undergraduate White Course Apartments for 2015-2016 academic year

Terms, Conditions, and Regulations (TCRs) of the Housing and Food Service Contract for Undergraduate Residence Halls/Apartments and Dining Commons for the 2015-2016 academic year

The University reserves the right to revise or amend the Terms, Conditions and Regulations at any time without notice.

Please read the following information thoroughly and keep it for reference throughout your stay in University housing.

Introductory Information

Penn State strives to provide a residence environment that is both comfortable and conducive to learning and personal growth. The University assigns housing accommodations without regard to personal characteristics, not related to ability, performance, or qualifications as determined by University policy, or by state or federal authorities. The University does not discriminate against any person because of age, ancestry, color, disability or handicap, national origin, race, religious creed, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status. All students should familiarize themselves with the Terms, Conditions, and Regulations of living on campus.


The Housing and Food Service Contract is a legally-binding contract, and begins when the student accepts the Contract. Students are expected to abide by the Terms, Conditions, and Regulations of the Housing and Food Service Contract, which includes assuming financial responsibility for the entire contract period. Residence accommodations are available only on a combined room-and-board basis unless otherwise noted. The Housing and Food Service Contract cannot be transferred or assigned to another student expect as outlined in the "Contract Transfer of Obligation" process. The Penn State id+ Card provides access to the Campus Meal Plan, and may only be used by the student to whom it is issued. Failure to pick up the room key or properly check-in does not release a student from the Housing and Food Service Contract.

Housing Deposit

When a student accepts the Housing and Food Service Contract, a $100.00 non-refundable housing deposit must also be submitted, or the student must agree that the University can charge the housing deposit to the student's Bursar account if the housing deposit is not on file. The housing deposit will not be refunded if the student decides to not attend the University for the student's admitted contract period. The housing deposit will be retained by the University throughout the contract period that the student resides in University Housing, until the student no longer has a Housing and Food Service Contract on file with the University for future academic periods. The housing deposit will be credited to the student's account within 30 days after the final contract period the student resides on campus ends.


The University is not responsible for loss or damage to occupants' personal property, therefore each individual is strongly advised to carry property insurance.

Special Housing Requests

if a student feels that he or she has a significant chronic physical or emotional condition that may impact the assigned housing environment, the Housing Accommodation Form must be submitted by the deadline indicated to receive consideration for Housing Contract Preferences. The form may be submitted after the deadline, but any preferences indicated will not be honored. A student must have a valid, accepted Housing Contract before the form can be submitted. If the Housing Accommodation Form is received after the deadline date, Housing Contract preferences for area, building, Special Living Options, and/or roommate will be reviewed but only taken into consideration if space permits. The Housing Accommodation Form determination will supersede any preferences indicated on the Housing Contract. If the Housing Accommodation Form is received after room assignments are posted, Housing reserves the right to reassign the student to a space that will meet the medical need. This move will only accommodate the student requiring the medical need, and not any requested roommate(s). If a student is offered a change to the housing environment, an additional cost may be associated with the resulting assignment or requests.

Questions regarding this process should be directed to the The Assignment Office. Students requiring special assistance for academic activities should contact the Office for Disabilty Services.

Temporary Medical Conditions

Room changes for temporary medical conditions are only valid for the academic year in which they are filed. If a student needs to request a Temporary Medical Condition, the student's attending physician must complete the Housing Accommodation Form. Once the medical need is established, the student will be moved to a space that will best accommodate his or her need until such a time that the accommodation is no longer required, or until the end of the contracted period should the original room assignment be assigned to another student with a Housing Contract.

Meningococcal Disease Vaccination

The University is required by state law to maintain Meningococcal Vaccination information for every student who lives on campus. All Penn State students residing in on-campus housing, including all residence halls and apartments, are required to comply with this law by indicating acknowledgement of this requirement when accepting a Housing Contract. More information about Meningococcal disease can be found on the Frequently Asked Questions page.


Registration Status

Students must be in registered status as a degree-seeking student at University Park to reside in University-owned housing. This means the student must have his or her semester bill paid in full. If a student has have not paid the student bill, he or she will be asked to leave the apartment. Housing will then cancel the current contract and place a financial hold on the student's records until such time as the student pays all charges incurred.

Campus Registration

Upper-class students who are attending another Penn State campus or college and are planning a change of campus (COC) to University Park may request a Housing Contract through the Online Contract System process during the advertised process. The change of campus process must be initiated by the student at his or her current campus. If the change of campus to University Park is not approved, it is the student's responsibility to contact The Assignment Office to cancel the University Park Housing Contract. If a student whose University records reflect a campus other than University Park after July 1, his or her room assignment will be held until such time as the change of campus to University Park is complete. Any student who has not completed the change of campus by the last day of the second summer session will lose his or her room assignment and will be placed in space reserved until the change of campus is approved. The student will then be assigned to either a regular or supplemental room, whichever is available. If the change of campus to University Park is not approved, and the student does not notify The Assignment Office prior to arrival day, the student's contract will be canceled and the student will forfeit the $100 housing deposit.

University Academic Drop

If a student is academically dropped by the University, he or she is responsible for notifying the Assignment Office of their status. Any room and board charges that the student incurred during a stay on campus will need to be paid by the student directly to the Assignment Office. If the student becomes re-enrolled during the contract period, he or she will be obligated to the remaining portion of the contract.

Rental Contract Periods

There are three rental contract periods for assignment to Nittany or White Course Apartments. A separate contract request must be accepted for each applicable period a student is interested in residing on campus.

  1. Academic Year (fall and spring)
  2. Spring Semester only
  3. Summer Session


Summer session Housing Contracts are available for students registered for summer courses at University Park. The Housing Contract dates are based on the individual student's class schedule. After scheduling summer courses, the student may contact the Assignment Office to request a Housing Contract. The student will need to verify the begin/end dates of the courses. The Housing Contract will begin on the Sunday prior to the earliest begin date of a scheduled course, and will end on the Saturday after the latest end date of the course. If the original schedule is modified, the student must inform The Assignment Office so that the Housing Contract can be modified to meet the new schedule requirements.

Campus Meal Plan

The Housing and Food Service Contract for Nittany and White Course Apartment does not require the purchase of the Campus Meal Plan, but students residing in apartments have the option of purchasing the Campus Meal Plan.

Academic Year Meal Plan Level Options

The Campus Meal Plan offers six levels, with varying dining dollars available to purchase meals. The Campus Meal Plan is defaulted to level three. To adjust the level, the student can login to eLiving and select a different level. Levels can be adjusted during the semester until seven days before the end of the semester. Levels can be adjusted higher or lower as applicable, and additional dining dollars can be added directly to the student's account online at Any dining dollars remaining at the end of spring semester are forfeited and will not be refunded.

Summer Session Meal Plan

During the summer session, only one level of the Campus Meal Plan is offered. The actual charge of the Campus Meal Plan will be calculated based on the length of stay during the summer. If needed, the student may add additional dining dollars as necessary online at Any remaining dining dollars at the end of summer session will be carried over to fall semester, provided that the student has a Campus Meal Plan in the fall.

Campus Meal Plan Account Balances

Remaining dining dollars at the end of summer session will carry over to fall semester, and from fall semester to spring semester, provided the student has an active Campus Meal Plan. Even if dining dollars are carried over to the next semester, students are still required to purchase the Campus Meal Plan and pay the total semester board rate for the level selected. If a student has a large amount of dining dollars at the end of fall semester, a lower level should be selected for spring semester. Any remaining dining dollars at the end of spring semester are forfeited, and no refunds will be offered.

Transfer of the Campus Meal Plan to Another Student

The Campus Meal Plan cannot be transferred or assigned to another student. The id+ Card is used as the meal access card and may be used only by the student to whom the card is issued.

Special Diets

A student with special dietary requirements (religious, medical, personal, dietary preference, etc.) that cannot be fulfilled by individual selection from the menu choices needs to contact the Residential Dining Office prior to purchasing the Campus Meal Plan.

Removing Food or Unauthorized Entry into the Dining Commons

When dining in the all-you-care-to-eat locations, the only takeout options are one piece of hand fruit (apple, orange, or banana) and one ice cream cone. Removing additional food or beverages, dishes, or silverware from the dining room or entering the dining commons without paying for the meal will be considered theft. Theft in the dining commons is a serious issue that will result in disciplinary action by the Office of Residence Life, the Office of Student Conduct and/or University Police. Further repercussions could include cancellation of the Housing and Food Service Contract. Campus Dining reserves the right to examine customers' backpacks or bags when they exit the dining commons. Acts of horseplay, food fights, and inline skates are prohibited. If a student violates this policy, he or she will be subject to disciplinary action.

Meals During Illness

If a student becomes ill and is unable to consume meals in the dining commons, a meal may be obtained by notifying the dining commons office. The staff will then provide instructions for securing a meal.

Checking Into the Apartment

Check-In and Room Inspection Form

Information about when check-in will be held for each semester will be announced in advance through the Arrival site. Students should plan on arriving on the appropriate scheduled arrival day, unless arrangements have been made for a special group to arrive early.

The student must be present to check in, a parent or other family member may not check-in for the student. The student must present his or her Penn State id+ Card or other valid photo identification at check-in to receive a room key. Each student will receive one room key at the time of check-in, and will sign in acknowledgment of receiving the room key. Information about the student's mailbox will also be provided.

The Room Inspection Form must be completed online through eLiving by the student within seven days of check-in. The Room Inspection Form is used to identify any damages or missing items in the room, and will be verified upon the student's check-out of the room. Any damages or missing items not noted will be charged to the student's account.

Late Check-in

Unless the student requests an extension of the arrival period in writing to The Assignment Office, the University is not obliged to hold a specific room assignment later than 5:00 p.m. of the first day of classes. Students must accept other available accommodations if they arrive after that time, and will be obligated for full room and board charges if enrolled at the University.

Checking Out of the Apartment

Check-Out and Room Key

All rooms in the apartment, regardless of the date or circumstances, should be clean and in good condition at the time of check-out. Students should notify the Housing Office regarding the date of check-out and determine a time the room can be inspected.

The student needs to return the apartment key to Community Center desk. If a student does not return the key, the cost to process a core change for both the apartment door and bedroom door will be charged to the student's account.

Any items a student leaves in the apartment or room will be handled in accordance with the lost and found policy. Students must follow the moving-out instructions.

Only students withdrawing from the University are permitted to cancel the Housing and Food Service Contract. If a student leaves the University during the contracted period, The Assignment Office must be notified of the student's change of enrollment status prior to the student vacating the room.

Room Changes

Direct Room Exchange

A direct room exchange is a change of assignment with another student of the same gender and may be processed for most types of accommodations. Both students must complete the Direct Room Exchange Form, available through the eLiving system. A Direct Room Exchange cannot be processed for students assigned to a medically equipped room due to a medical need, such as air conditioning, unless the change is to a similarly equipped room. A Direct Room Exchanges cannot be processed if the student is assigned to a Special Living Option through a Special Living Option Contract, sorority housing, or certain other special housing. Direct room exchanges can be processed only through the ninth week of each semester.

Emergency Room Change

An emergency room change will be arranged only when all other options to resolve differences between roommates have been thoroughly explored. If a student feels that an emergency room change is need, the student must discuss the need for a change of the assignment with a Residence Life staff member. If the staff member determines that an emergency exists and space is available, the Residence Life staff member will contact the Assignment Office to process a change in assignment.

Routine Room Change for Spring Semester

A student interested in changing their room assignment for spring semester may do so during the posted time periods beginning in November and continuing through early December. During the posted time periods, students will be informed where to view the list of rooms being vacated for spring semester. Interested students must follow the process outlined for requesting a room change. The Assignment Office will process the change and notify the student when the request is complete.

A student receiving a change of assignment for spring semester must vacate the fall room prior to the end of fall semester or before leaving for semester break, whichever is first. The student can make arrangements with the Housing Office in the area of the new assignment for storage during the semester break period if the new assignment is not available prior to the end of fall semester.

Open Room Change

After the second week of spring semester, depending on room availability, a list of vacancies is posted online through eLiving. Room changes are processed on a first-come, first-served basis to an available space in accordance with the policy/instructions that are provided with the posting. After the open room change period ends and supplemental rooms have been emptied, The Assignment Office will consolidate vacancies. Upon notification from The Assignment Office, if a student has a vacancy in their room, he or she may choose from the following options:

  1. Space permitting, retain the room for the balance of the semester on a reduced-capacity basis for an additional charge. All students assigned to supplemental living accommodations must be reassigned to permanent living accommodations before such requests will be honored; or
  2. Process a room change to a vacancy in a similar room (same capacity) with another student of the student's choice; or
  3. Have their room placed on a list of rooms available for new students or current students whose circumstances warrant a room assignment change to select for assignment. Once a roommate is assigned, the student will not have the option to pay the additional fee and maintain the room in a reduced-capacity manner.

Contract Cancellation

A Housing and Food Service Contract submitted to the University is legally binding and holds the student to the financial obligation of the entire contract period. A student is released from that obligation only if the student cancels his or her enrollment with the University. If the contract holder is continuing his or her education at the University Park campus and wishes to be released from the obligation, he or she is required to transfer the contract to another student (refer "Contract Transfer of Obligation" section). Students with extreme circumstances will be considered for Housing Contract Release on a case-by-case basis by submitting a Contract Release Request form. If a contract release is granted, a penalty feewill be charged to the student's account, per the contract release form. Cancellations granted after the first day of classes will have charges assessed according to the University's established refund policy. Failure to pick up a key will not release a student from the contract obligation.

Contract Transfer of Obligation

A student (third semester standing and higher) committed to a Housing and Food Service Contract who wishes to be released from the contract must transfer the obligation to another student. The replacement student must be eligible for on-campus housing and must be a non-first-year undergraduate student of the same gender. The transfer must be approved by The Assignment Office. First-year students are required to live on campus and are not permitted to transfer their contract obligation.

Regulations for Contract Transfer of Obligation

  1. A replacement may not be a University student who has on file an active contract for space in the campus housing.
  2. The replacement student must accept assignment to supplemental housing. The replacement student is not given the vacating student's assignment.
  3. The replacement student must accept the Housing and Food Service Contract and authorize or make a payment to the University for the room and board fees before the vacating student can receive a credit for room and board fees. The Assignment Office will prorate the charges for both students as necessary.
  4. If the replacement student does not take occupancy or withdraws from the University before taking occupancy, the student initiating the transfer of obligation will resume financial obligation of the contract.
  5. It is a violation of University policy to sell or attempt to sell a Housing and Food Service Contract. No replacement student shall offer and no transferring student shall accept any form of consideration for the transfer of a Housing and Food Service Contract. Any student who is found to have sold or purchased a Housing and Food Service Contract may be subject to a range of sanctions including contract review and/or termination and disciplinary action.
  6. In the case where there are limited vacancies, the option of Contract Transfer of Obligation may be suspended without notice.

Practicum, Student Teaching

Any student who has a Housing and Food Service Contract will pay 100 percent of the room and board charges for the portion of the session/semester he or she is on campus. The student and/or academic department must notify The Assignment Office, in writing, two weeks prior to the start of the practicum for the student to qualify for the credit.

Fall Semester

If a student takes a leave of absence or participates in student teaching, internship, practicum, etc., for fall semester and returns as a registered undergraduate student during the contract period, the contract is still active and the student must return to a campus housing. The housing deposit will be retained for spring semester. If a student is on leave of absence for two consecutive semesters, the housing deposit will be credited to the student's account. Any contract submitted thereafter must include another $100 deposit. Students re-enrolled after withdrawal will initially be assigned to supplemental housing.

Spring Semester and Summer Session

Spring semester and summer session students who withdraw or take a leave of absence from the University prior to taking occupancy will have their contracts canceled and $100 housing deposit will be forfeited. The University will retain the $100 housing deposit as liquidated damages.

Withdrawal from School and Approved Release from the Contract after Taking Occupancy

Students who took occupancy of a room and then withdrew from the University or were granted a contract release will receive a credit based on a prorated daily refund schedule upon check-out. No room and board base cost refunds are granted after the eighth week of the semester. All unused meal plan funds in excess of $5 remaining at time of withdrawal or approved contract release will be refunded at face value. However, at the end of the spring semester, any unused funds are forfeited and no refund will be given for the base cost. Students withdrawing from University must vacate their room no more than twenty four hours after withdrawal from school or approved contract release. Credits will be based on the date the belongings are removed from the room and the key is surrendered, or the effective date of the withdrawal, whichever is later.


Refund Policies


Campus Meal Plan Refunds

Refunds for unused dining dollars will not be given at the end of the contracted period. Students are encouraged to monitor their dining dollar balance and modify the meal plan level as necessary. Refunds are not given if a student schedules classes that conflict with the meal schedule or who choose not to eat in the dining commons. All unused dining dollars remaining at the time of withdrawal or approved contract release will be credited at face value. A credit will not be given for an account with less than a $5.00 balance.

Housing Deposit

The housing deposit is non-refundable for first-year students, and will be retained by the University for the length of time that the student has a valid Housing Contract. The housing deposit is carried over year-to-year until the student no longer resides on campus. Once the student no longer has a Housing Contract for the subsequent contract period, the housing deposit will then be credited to the student's Bursar account.

If a student cancels the Housing Contract or withdraws from the University without notifying The Assignment Office, the housing deposit will be forfeited for administrative costs. If for any reason a refunded housing deposit is not accepted, negotiated, or other demand made thereof, within one year from the University's initial attempt to return such to student, the student agrees that any remaining housing deposit will be a general gift by the student to the University.

Semester Charges

The room rate and Campus Meal Plan base cost will be credited on prorated daily refund schedule after the student has received an approved Housing Contract release or officially withdrawals from the University. The refund amount is based on the date of the Housing Contract cancellation. The refund will be applied to the student's Bursar account and will be refunded less any outstanding charges against the account.

Maintenance of the Apartment and Room Repairs

Maintenance needs, problems, or questions regarding a student room or hall should be discussed with Housing staff in a timely manner.

A student who has requested a repair to an item in his or her apartment or room can expect this repair to be completed during regular business hours. For the safety and security of residents, it may be necessary to reassign the occupants to a different room to perform some types of maintenance.

Maintenance personnel may enter a student apartment and/or room to perform preventative maintenance, needed repairs identified during a room inspection, or an emergency repair. If an employee enters a student room when the student is not present, the employee will leave a form stating the time, date, and reasons for entering the room. Although a student may ask to schedule an appointment for a repair, it will be determined by Housing, on a case-by-case basis, if the situation can wait or be scheduled at the convenience of the student.


Students are expected to maintain the apartment in an orderly and sanitary condition. Students are responsible for cleaning the bathroom. If Housing becomes aware of unsanitary conditions resulting from students failing to maintain the apartment or bedroom, Housing will clean the apartment and/or room, the resident(s) will be charged, and the amount will be applied against their student accounts. Depending upon how Housing and other students are affected by the persistence of disorderly and unsanitary conditions in a student's room, the University reserves the right to cancel the student's contract and to refuse an assignment for future contract periods.

Apartment Patios

Residents are responsible for maintaining the patio section of their apartment. Furnishings, bikes, propane grills and tanks, recycling bins, and other personal belongings must be secured and unobtrusive to the entrance(s) of the apartment. It is recommended that residents utilize the anchoring system available to secure belongings (security cable and padlock are not provided by Housing).

The maximum size propane tank allowed is 20lbs. Propane tanks must be stored outside at all times. Charcoal grills are prohibited.

Trash is prohibited from being stored on the patio area and needs to be taken directly to the Dumpster. Recycling bins should not be overflowing and must be periodically emptied into the appropriate recycling containers.


An apartment inspection is not a search. Student apartments are inspected during each session/semester and at the time of check-out. Routine inspections will be announced in advance, and the student may choose to be present during the inspection. These inspections are conducted: 1) to evaluate the condition of the apartment and furnishings; 2) to identify needed maintenance and repairs; and 3) to check for fire and safety hazards. If damages are noted, the cost for repairs or replacement will be charged to the resident(s) of the room. The University reserves the right to make non-routine, emergency inspections to protect the health and safety of its students.

Should Housing management observe the presence of unapproved appliances or objects in the apartment or notice objects attached to the facilities in an unapproved manner, this will be recorded on a Notice of Room Check form. A copy of the form will be left for the student, who will be expected to correct the improper situation. In the case of noncompliance, the University reserves the right to have the items removed at the expense of the resident(s).

Policies and Regulations


  1. The possession or use of alcoholic beverages is prohibited in all Penn State on-campus undergraduate residence hall buildings including Nittany and White Course Apartments.
  2. It is a violation of state law and University policy for a student under 21 years of age to attempt to purchase, consume, possess, or transport alcoholic beverages. It is unlawful to sell, furnish, and give alcoholic beverages or to permit alcoholic beverages to be sold, furnished or given to any minor.
  3. It is against residence area policy for there to be any tailgating activities in the residential quad areas or residence hall parking lots where alcoholic beverages are being served on any football game/event weekend including all home football games, Football Eve, Fourth Fest, and the spring Blue and White Weekend. Students tailgating with alcoholic beverages in these defined areas will be confronted and will likely be charged with "open containers in an unauthorized area."
  4. Residents will be held responsible for activities that occur in their rooms, and will be referred to the Office of Residence Life, the Office of Student Conduct, and/or University Police if guests are violating the on-campus alcohol policies listed above.
  5. Failure to comply with the direction given by or the request to present identification to a University Official acting in the performance of their duties is a violation of the Student Code of Conduct and will result in a referral to the Office of Residence Life or the Office of Student Conduct.
  6. It is against the Student Code of Conduct to supply false information, such as name, age, etc. to University Officials who are acting in the performance of their duties.

Illegal Substances

It is a violation of state and university policy to illegally possess, use, distribute, manufacture, sell or be under the influence of other drugs. Students who violate this policy will be referred to the office of Residence Life, the Office of Student Conduct, and/or University Police.

It is against residence hall policy for a student to be in a residential area (room, common area, common building, building entryway, or quad area immediately adjacent to the residence halls) and in the presence of an illegal substance. Students who are in the presence of an illegal substance in these areas will be referred to the Office of Residence Life, the Office of Student Conduct and/or University Policy.



  1. Canvassing shall be defined as any effort to influence student opinions, gain support, or promote a particular cause or interest, specifically excluding any solicitation of fundraising as defined by current University policy. Surveys are not considered to be canvassing for purposes of this policy.
  2. Students, student organizations, residence hall house governments, area governments, and outside interests are eligible to canvass in the residence halls.
  3. Canvassing may occur door-to-door in individual residence hall buildings and apartments, unless restricted by a majority vote of the residents of that building which is held at the beginning of each academic year.
  4. Canvassing may occur in the commons buildings. Students or student organizations who wish to canvass a commons building must request permission to do so in the area Residence Life Office. Canvassing in dining hall rooms or other food service operations is prohibited.
  5. Canvassing shall be restricted to the hours of 11:00 a.m. through 11:00 p.m.
  6. Any canvasser must register with the assistant/associate director of Residence Life or his or her designee, no less than 24 hours prior to the canvass and must clearly understand all provisions of canvassing regulations before canvassing may begin.
  7. When contacting residents in their rooms, canvassers must knock before entering, identify themselves, announce their specific purpose, enter an individual room only by the expressed consent of the resident, and leave immediately if the resident so requests. A canvasser who is not a resident of the building in which door-to-door canvassing is taking place must be escorted by a resident of the building at all times.
  8. Canvassers must abide by all University rules and regulations.


The use of University facilities and/or property for commercial sales activities by individual or non-University organizations is prohibited. University organizations, within limitations established by this policy and other University regulations, and with appropriate approval, may sell materials to support the purpose of the organization.






  1. Definitions:
    1. A residence hall is a University-owned building that contains rooms assigned to students for sleeping, dressing, studying, and socializing, and that also contains common facilities and areas used by all students assigned to such residence area, including common means of entering and exiting, common lavatories, common study lounges, common storage areas, and areas used in common for organized educational and social functions. Apartments are also covered by this definition.
    2. Solicitation is the offer of a sale of products or services.
  2. Except as hereinafter provided, no person (including a student), firm, business entity, charitable organization, religious organization, or other organization may solicit money, sell, or solicit the sale of any product or service anywhere in a residence area.
  3. A student assigned to a room may invite a person, firm, business entity, charitable organization, religious organization or other organization to that student's assigned room to solicit money, sell, or to solicit the sale of products or services with that student only. Such solicitation or sale must occur only in the assigned room of the student-inviter. The solicitation of money or the sale or solicitation of a sale of products or services to any other student is prohibited anywhere in the residence area.
  4. Registered student organizations and residence hall house governments may solicit money or sell/solicit the sale of products or services in a residence hall in accordance with the regulations governing student organizations found in the Student Guide to General University Policies and Rules, found on the Web at
  5. Nothing in these regulations shall be deemed to preclude any solicitation or sale by mail, e-mail, telephone, or other communication media.



Advertising of merchandise or services for sale or rent is not permitted in residence areas unless it is for the sale of the personal property of the students living in the residence areas. Special bulletin board space is designated for this service. Advertisements, if posted elsewhere, will be removed.

Student Rooms


  1. Pictures, additional bulletin boards, and decorations are to be hung from picture molding with picture hooks.
  2. Nothing is to be strung across the room for the purpose of hanging decorations.
  3. Darts and dart boards are not permitted.
  4. Because of the costly cumulative deterioration of physical facilities, the use of tape, adhesives, putty, glue, paste, nails, tacks, staples, and screws on walls, furniture, doors, or other woodwork or glass is not permitted.
  5. No painting or papering of rooms or furniture is permitted.


Student doors


Students may decorate the surface of their room door facing the interior of the apartment, provided that it is done according to the guidelines that follow. Adhering to these guidelines will protect doors from unusually harsh wear, eliminate potential fire hazards, and ensure the free movement/access in the apartment. No decorations may be placed on the exterior of the building.


  1. Decorations may be placed on the upper section of room doors above the lock mechanism. If the door has louvers, no materials may be placed on the louvers.
  2. Decorations may not project more than one-half inch from the surface of the door. Greeting cards are to be fastened shut.
  3. No decals or stickers are permitted.
  4. Bunting and streamers are permitted to celebrate special occasions, but must be removed within 24 hours.
  5. All memo boards, pictures, signs, and posters must be unframed.
  6. Only masking tape or "sticky tack" may be used.
  7. Nonflammable materials should be used whenever possible.
  8. All door decorations must be removed prior to the student being checked out of the room. Damages to the doors as well as any extra cleaning required will be the responsibility of the residents and may result in a charge to the student account. Housing staff will determine the nature and extent of all damages. Any materials found to be offensive or outside the boundaries of reasonable community expectations will be referred to the area Residence Life staff.

Student room and lounge window decorating and display policy
Students may decorate the window(s) in their individual bedroom provided that it is done according to the guidelines that follow. Adhering to these guidelines will prevent windows from being damaged and eliminate potential safety hazards.

  1. Decorations may only be on the inside window side.
  2. Decorations must be removable (not permanent). Only water-based poster paint may be used for painted decorations.
  3. For emergency reasons, such as in the case of a fire, one-half of the total window space must be transparent.
  4. Decorations that present health hazards due to weight, possibility of breakage, degree of cleanliness, etc. must be modified and/or removed if deemed necessary by the Housing and Residence Life staff in consultation with Environmental Health and Safety staff.
  5. All decorations must be temporarily removed at the request of the Housing staff for regularly scheduled window cleaning purposes.
  6. All room window decorations must be removed prior to the resident being checked out of the room. Damages to the windows, drapes, and/or blinds as well as any extra cleaning required, will be the responsibility of the residents and may result in a charge to the student account. Housing staff will determine the nature and extent of all damages. Any materials found to be offensive or outside the boundaries of reasonable community expectations will be referred to the area Residence Life staff.

Holiday decorations
Many residents are interested in seasonal or holiday decorating. The following policy outlines acceptable standards for seasonal and/or holiday decorating.

  1. Live trees or greens are not permitted due to fire hazard concerns. Artificial trees may be used in approved lounge locations on the upper floors of the building.
  2. Only room and hallway bulletin boards can be decorated; walls or ceilings may not have decorations applied to them.
  3. Candles are never permitted. If the use of a candle is required for a religious celebration, the student must work directly with the area Housing and Residence Life staff to find an appropriate location for religious observance.
  4. No plastic or foam type materials may be used in decorations.
  5. When decorating, all materials must be non-flammable such as ceramic or glass, decorative 100% aluminum foil wrap, fire-retardant-treated paper, crepe paper, tinsel, ribbon, etc.
  6. Spray-on snow is acceptable for windows.
  7. Decorative lights may be used in individual rooms, however, students are asked to consider the University's Energy Conservation committee request that students not use these types of lights to help conserve energy.
  8. All holiday decorations must be removed prior to the beginning of the semester break.

Any questions related to the above policies should be referred to the area Housing and Residence Life staff.


Nittany and White Course Apartments are intended for use by residents of the apartment and their invited guests. A guest is defined as a person visiting a resident of the apartment at the resident's invitation. Delivery persons are not considered to be guests for purposed of this policy.

To ease the congestion of the move-in period and to allow roommates the opportunity to discuss what to do about overnight guests in the apartment, no overnight guests will be allowed in the apartment until the first day of classes, then only with the permission of the roommate.

The following stipulations relate to all guests:

  1. It is the responsibility of the host student to ensure that their guests are aware of University and residence hall policies. Guests are held responsible for their own actions and for knowledge of University and residence hall regulations. However, hosts may be held accountable for damages committed by their guests, unless the guest can be identified as a University student. Hosts may also be held accountable for their guests' behavior.
  2. Residents are permitted to have guests in their rooms only if there is no objection from their roommate(s).
  3. Room keys will not be provided for guests. Residents are not to give their keys or Penn State id+ Card to a guest in order for them to gain entrance to the room or the apartment.
  4. Students may have an overnight guest in their apartment for a maximum of three consecutive nights. The University reserves the right to revoke this privilege. Guests may not move from one host's room to another in order to extend their stay on campus.

Students charged with violations of the guest regulation will be subject to University disciplinary action. An unescorted guest who is a student of the University shall be subject to University discipline.

If a cot is needed, students should make arrangements at the area commons desk/housing office. Charges for these services should be paid in advance; the deadline for reservations is 3:00 pm, Monday through Friday.


One of the goals of Housing, Food Services, and Residence Life is to provide an atmosphere within the residence halls that is conducive to study and rest. In order to meet this goal, it is necessary that all students understand that the right of students to study and sleep takes precedence over the right of students to make noise. Quiet hours and courtesy hours have been established and posted in every residence area.


Courtesy hours are in effect 24 hours a day. At all times, a student's right to study and sleep will be respected. Residents and their guests will lower their voices or the volume of their equipment (music, TV, computer, musical instruments, etc) if asked to do so by a University official or resident of the apartment.


8:00 p.m. – 8:00 a.m., Sunday through Thursday
1:00 a.m. – 10:00 a.m., Friday and Saturday


8:00 pm – 8:00 a.m. Sunday through Thursday
10:00 p.m. – 8:00 am. Friday and Saturday


During finals week, 24 hour quiet hours are maintained beginning at 8:00 a.m. the day before finals and continuing until the halls close at the end of the semester. It is expected that a proper study atmosphere be maintained during these established quiet hours. Residents are also reminded that these hours may be extended if additional study conditions are required. Residence life may extend hours in consultation with student government or ARHS.

It is also expected that:

  1. Electronic sound equipment (radios, TVs, stereos, electronic games, computers, etc), musical instruments, and room activities will not be heard outside of the room. Such equipment should never be played so loudly so as to disturb other residents.
  2. At no time will amplified sound be directed out of windows by placing speakers in windows.
  3. It is important that residents take the initiative to discuss the noise with the offender. If a resident is bothered by someone else's noise, the resident should ask him/her to reduce the volume level of the offending noise. The resident has every right to expect them to do so. Likewise, any resident who is requested to reduce their volume level should do so – thus showing respect for a fellow student. RAs will continue to deal with excessive noise. However, they cannot always be aware of every problem.
  4. All students and guests will lower their voices when talking in corridors, bathrooms, study lounges, etc., in order to help maintain a quiet living environment for all residents.
  5. All students will refrain from participating in any sports-like activity within or immediately adjacent to the residence areas. The University has designated playing areas for these activities. Information can be obtained from the area Residence Life Office.
  6. Residents who persist in creating excessive noise will be subject to disciplinary action through the Office of Residence Life and/or the Office of Student Conduct.



Candles and Incense
For safety reasons candles, incense, and other flame-emitting articles are prohibited in the residence areas. Only potpourri burners with an enclosed heating element and an automatic shut-off are permitted.

Penn State promotes smoke-free environments by prohibiting smoking in all buildings. This policy is enforced in all University facilities, including residence halls, apartments, common buildings, and dining facilities. Established "smoking area" maps are posted in each residence area.


Fire Drills
To comply with state and local fire regulations, fire drills will be conducted in all residence area once a month. Everyone present in the building during the emergency drills must participate by vacating the building according to instructions. Rooms may be checked during fire drills to ensure compliance. Failure to vacate the building will result in disciplinary action.

Fire Safety Equipment
Fire alarms and fire extinguishers are located in every apartment. Student should familiarize themselves with the location. Tampering with fire safety equipment is a very serious matter that could jeopardize the safety of a number of people. At least one smoke detector is equipped in each apartment and is electronically operated with a battery back-up. The detector is provided for students' safety and should not be tampered with. Tampering with this equipment at any time, including covering the equipment or dismantling the equipment in your room and discharging a fire extinguisher on a floor may result in severe disciplinary and/or criminal action including a loss of the Housing Contract.

General Fire Safety Precautions
Students are responsible for taking precautions to prevent fire. Extreme caution and good judgment must be exercised when using a desk lamp of any kind. Lamps should not be placed near flammable objects such as curtains, bedspreads, pillows, posters, or clothing and should be turned off when residents leave the room. Due to potential fire hazards, University policy prohibits the use of Torchere-style (floor-standing lamps that project light upward) halogen lamps in any University facility. Small gas grills (no charcoal grills) may be used outside Nittany Apartments.


Aerials and Antennae
Aerials, masts, satellite dishes, and other short-wave radio transmitting equipment are not allowed in the residence areas because of FCC interference regulations and safety precautions.


  1. The following electrical appliances are authorized for use in student apartments if the Underwriters Laboratories, Inc. label (UL label) is on the appliance: televisions, stereos, coffee makers (with enclosed heating element and automatic shut-off), clocks, fans, hair dryers, hair setters, curling irons (with automatic shut-off), printers, University owned refrigerator/microwaves, corn poppers (with enclosed heating element and automatic shut-off) and personal computers. Personal microwave units may be used in the kitchen area only. Air purifiers with an appropriate UL label are allowed.
  2. The following electrical appliances are prohibited: hot plates, toasters, torchere-style (floor-standing) halogen lamps and lights, immersion heaters, heating coils, ovens, personal microwave ovens, or personal refrigerators.
  3. Irons may be stored in student rooms but are to be used only in designated ironing areas.
  4. If the use of multiple outlets is needed, a grounded 15 amp surge-protected plug-in strip with built-in circuit breaker should be used.
  5. If unapproved items are observed in an apartment, the student will be asked to remove them from the building. In case of noncompliance, the University reserves the right to have the items removed. The items will be returned to the student for removal from the hall upon request to Housing management.

Furniture and furnishings cannot be removed from the apartments at any time. Only bunk beds and loft beds specifically approved by the University may be used within resident rooms, and only the use of approved beds is permitted. The Nittany Community Center office can provide specific information related to bunk beds or bed lofts. All beds must be freestanding on the floor, supported by legs attached to a bed frame. Mattresses are to be used on bed frames provided and not on the floor.

The use of other University furniture in an individual student room is not permitted and will lead to referral to the Office of Residence Life or the Office of Student Conduct.

Because of the excessive weight and potential for damage, liquid-filled beds and other liquid-filled furniture items are not permitted.

Room inspections
Routine room inspections of all residence area rooms may be done periodically to evaluate the condition of the room and furnishings, to identify required maintenance and repairs, and to check for fire and safety hazards. In most cases, students are notified about room inspections in advance.

Room Searches
There are no routine room searches. A room search is conducted only when there is strong reason to believe that the occupant(s) of the room are in serious physical or psychological distress or that the room contains items that are contrary to University regulations (which include federal, state, and local laws). In most cases, an act of misbehavior will precipitate this concern.

Room searches are conducted exclusively by the Residence Life staff. When there is a potential search situation, the area Residence Life staff must obtain approval from the assistant vice president of Housing, Food Services, and Residence Life. Approval is given only after the reason for search, the person(s) to search the room, and the object(s) being sought are clarified. Searches are usually conducted in the presence of the student occupants, and only in unusual cases would the room be searched in their absence.

When it is necessary for a member of the Department of University Safety to search a room, the search will be performed according to constitutional and criminal procedures (for instance, if an officer observes articles in plain view from a location where the officer has a right to be, the officer has not conducted a search). If time and circumstances permit, a member of the Residence Life staff will be notified of the impending search. The staff member can provide guidance to the resident of the room against whom any warrant is issued and can act as a witness. Items seized will be taken (as authorized by law) and inventoried, and a receipt listing each article will be given to the owner or left in the room.

Weightlifting Equipment
Weightlifting equipment is not permitted in the apartment or individual rooms because of noise and potential damage to the floors.


  1. To protect draperies and sills and to help conserve heating fuel, windows should be closed when residents are not in the room.
  2. No food or beverages are to be stored between the window and the screens on the outside ledges.
  3. Removal of any window screen is prohibited.
  4. No antennae or other devices are to be strung out of windows.


Penn State id+ Card
If a student's id+ card is lost or stolen, the student should follow the following procedures:
a. Report the card lost at to deactivate the privileges of the card. This service is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. It is the student's responsibility to deactivate the lost id+ card. The University is not responsible for any loss or expense resulting from the loss, theft, or misuse of the card.
b. Go to the id+ office to obtain a replacement card at the current replacement fee. If the id+ Office is closed, a temporary ID can be obtained at the student's area commons desk for a fee. The student must present positive proof of identification to have a picture reprocessed. The replacement card will be active immediately for some services, such as the meal plan. Other services may take up to 72 hours to reactivate. The student will be charged a replacement card fee. This fee can be charged to the student's account or can be paid by cash or check.

Note: Students whose id+ cards are reported lost, misplaced, or stolen will not be allowed access to any dining commons or cash operation using their campus meal plan until they have obtained a replacement card. The id+ card has monetary value and should be treated the same as cash. The University will not be responsible for any value loss due to misuse or fraud.

Residence Hall Security Unit
At University Park students are hired as rovers to check for propped doors, monitor activities in the commons building, and assist students who have questions or difficulties with the card access system. In general, they are on duty from 5:00 p.m. to 7:00 a.m., although shifts and locations vary from area to area an on weekdays and weekends. Students who are interested in working with the Residence Hall Security Unit should contact University Police.


Safety and Security Tips:
a. Students should not allow strangers to enter the residence hall with them.
b. Students should notify the staff member on duty if someone has insisted upon entering the hall with them. The student should try to get a good description of the offender and observe the direction in which he/she moves.
c. Students should keep their rooms locked at all times, even when they are sleeping, and especially when they are leaving the room or building.
d. A malfunctioning card access reader or door should be reported immediately.
e. Students should meet any guests/visitors at the lobby door.
f. Students should not lend their id+ cards or room keys to others.
g. Lost or stolen id+ cards should be reported immediately.

Report Suspicious Activity Immediately
Suspicious activity includes:
a. Persons going from room to room trying doorknobs
b. persons loitering at unusual hours and locations
c. persons running (especially if something of value is being carried)
d. persons exhibiting unusual mental, emotional, or physical symptoms
e. persons carrying University property or other items not wrapped
f. open or broken windows or doors
g. unusual noises, screams, cry for help

Some people fail to report suspicious activity because they are not aware of what seemingly innocent activities might be suspicious. Others may notice activity and may be hesitant to call for fear of seeming over-reactive or embarrassed. Still others take it for granted that someone else has called. Students should call immediately about any suspicious activity. There is no need to worry about bothering staff on duty because that is why we are here. Students should not be concerned about being embarrassed if their suspicions prove unfounded. They should think instead about what could happen if they do not act.

Students play a critical role in maintaining a safe and secure environment. No matter how many security assistants we employ or how sophisticated a mechanical system we install, the safety and security of the residents can be compromised by careless resident behavior. Students should think about this the next time they are tempted to prop open a door or not lock their room doors.


Housing provides personal network connections in each bedroom. Students can access the Penn State computer Internet using their own personal computers. Any student using a personal computer to access the network acknowledges a responsibility to act in accordance with relevant policies including:
a. Penn State Policy AD-20
b. "Using Software: A Guide to the Ethical and Legal Use of Software for Members of the Academic Community," which can be found online at

This policy is agreed to when an access account with the Center for Academic Computing is activated. Violation of policy or law may result in suspension of network access or other information service privileges, disciplinary action, and legal proceedings. Information pertaining to the data connection is available from Residential Computing (ResCom), which has several helpdesks on campus in certain residence areas.

The student's use of the network connection is subject to compliance with the Terms and Conditions found online at By registering for or using a network connection, the student agrees to be bound by the Terms and Conditions. Specific information about illegal activity, bandwidth limitations, inappropriate content, personal responsibilities, and other network connection limitations can be found online at


Bicycles are to be placed in the bicycle racks located outside the apartments. Students may store their bicycles in their rooms with the permission of their roommate(s). Bicycles are not permitted in lounges, laundries, hallways, bathrooms, dining halls, or other public areas. Students may be held responsible for damages. If a student wishes to store a bicycle for a prolonged period on a month-to-month bases, arrangements for bicycle locker boxes, if available, may be made through the area Housing office. Skateboards are prohibited on campus. In-line skates are not permitted to be worn in the residence areas or dining commons.


Liability Policy

  1. Room occupants will be held responsible for the condition of the apartment and furnishings and for any damages or losses that may occur during occupancy.
  2. Individuals identified as responsible for damage, theft, or losses in common areas of the building (such as corridors, elevators, stairwells, recreation rooms, dining commons, study rooms, bathrooms, laundry rooms work rooms, and lounges) will be billed for the cost of repair or replacement. Amounts billed are additional charges under the Housing and Food Services Contract. Residents will be held collectively responsible for damages, theft, or losses in common areas of the building that may occur during occupancy when the individual(s) responsible cannot be identified.
  3. For the purpose of damage, theft, or loss assessment, occupancy shall be inclusive from the date of check-in to the date the student properly checks out of the room. Charges will be applied against the student's account. Residents must pay a damage assessment when billed.
  4. Residents are not permitted to make damage repairs or arrange for them to be made. In an emergency, Housing management staff, an RA, or University Police should be contacted. Any student who leaves the University at the end of the contract period or earlier because of withdrawal from the University or other termination of study, and who fails to return the room key at the time of check-out, will automatically be assessed a charge for core and key replacement. The amount will be charged against the student's account.


Gambling in University-owned residence halls, apartments, and commons buildings in violation of federal, state, and local laws and is prohibited. Students involved in gambling-related incidents may face legal and/or disciplinary action.


Nittany Apartment students will receive mail at exterior mailboxes, located outside the Nittany Community Center. Only mail addressed to the current occupant of the room and with the official occupant's name will be processed. Two keys per apartment will be issued by the United States Post Office, located in McAllister building on campus. Keys must be returned to this office when the student checks out.

Mail for resident students should be addressed as follows:
(Apartment Number) Nittany Apartments
600 East Pollock Road
State College PA 16801

White Course Apartment students will receive mail at the Weston Community Center. Only mail addressed to the current occupant of the room and with the official occupant's name will be processed.

Mail for resident students should be addressed as follows:
(Aparment Number) (Building Name)
University Park, PA 16802-6828

Note: "Penn State" and "The Pennsylvania State University" should not be used in the address.


Animals of any type are not permitted in Nittany  or White Course Apartments for reasons of sanitation and safety. One small tank, not more than 5 gallons (U.S.) for tropical fish or goldfish is the only pet permitted.


There is a limited storage space in the Nittany Apartment Complex for trunks and suitcases, and no storage in White Course Apartment Complex. Due to fire safety concerns, boxes and cartons of any kind cannot be stored. Students should see Housing management staff for details. The University is not responsible for loss of items placed in storage rooms.


Students who engage in behavior that violates the Terms, Conditions, and Regulations of the Housing and Food Services Contract and/or the Student Code of Conduct will be required to work with the staff of Residence Life and/or Office of Student Conduct to resolve the issue. Outcomes may include, but are not limited to, educational sanctions, contract review, change of housing assignment, contract termination, and disciplinary action. Guidelines and procedures related to this process are available by contacting any Residence Life staff member.


In addition to the foregoing, the University reserves the right to cancel or deny a contract to a student, or to change the assignment of a student, if that student engages in the following conduct:
a. Disregards the rights of other residents
b. Jeopardizes the safety and/or well-being of him/herself or other residents
c. Disrupts the residential environment
d. Violates the University rules and policies and/or Terms, Conditions, and Regulations of this contract

The University, at its discretion, may determine whether a student who engages in the conduct mentioned above shall be covered by the preceding provision related to violations or whether the student should have a fair and equitable hearing by the Senior Director of Residence Life. In the latter case, the student will have the right to appeal to the assistant vice president for Housing, Food Services, and Residence Life, who will retain final authority in such cases.

The University reserves the right to deny or cancel a Housing and Food Services Contract or lease for University-provided housing to an individual whose conduct and/or proven criminal record indicates a potential threat or danger to the University community, including students, faculty, and staff. Any student who is not in registered status will have a financial hold place don his or her student record for housing and food service charges incurred during the semester. Subsequent contracts will be denied until all financial holds are satisfied.

The University reserves the right to change the assignment of a student in specific locations in the event that (1) the location is needed for other programs or purposes and/or (2) the student's room is specially equipped to provide for a medical need and such need arises, and/or (3) conditions in a specific location requires such reassignment to ensure a proper educational environment or the health and safety of individuals. The student will be given area assignment preference after reassignments are complete.