University Housing provides students with two ways to watch their favorite programming - XFINITY STREAM and Standard Cable TV.
Penn State has teamed up with Comcast to provide XFINITY On Campus to all students living in on campus. With XFINITY, students can watch and record live TV, access thousands of recorded XFINITY On Demand shows and movies, and stream them directly to their Mac and Windows computers. With XFINITY STREAM residents can watch live TV, sports, movies and more anytime, anywhere on campus.
- Twenty hours of Comcast DVR. Students can schedule a recording of up to two programs simultaneously and then play them back at any time. Recorded shows can also be downloaded to watch off-campus or entirely off-line.
- Optional premium upgrades to add channels, premium networks (including HBO, NFL RedZone and more), sports packages, and international programming.
Xfinity On Campus is available to Penn State enrolled students who live in University Housing. There are no fees or complicated registration steps required to use the service. XFINITY On Campus is currently available for viewing on PC, Mac, iPhone, 4th generation or later iPod Touch, iPad, and Android devices when connect to PSU WiFi. Smart TVs are not able to connect to the PSU WiFi. Personal routers will not work.
How to get it started
- Visit https://xfinityoncampus.com/
- Search "Penn State"
- Login with your Penn State Access Account username and password
- Start watching!! Search for and download Xfinity Stream from your device's app store
University Housing provides an on-campus cable TV service that is an all-digital signal with an expanded channel lineup and includes 95 high-definition (HD) channels, 120 standard definition (SD) channels, and 50 digital music channels.
University Housing provides at least one cable television connection in each residence hall and/or apartment. To use the service, the TV must be connected to the wall jack with a standard coaxial cable, which is not provided. A channel scan needs to be run on the television to recognize new channels. The service is provided in all University housing, and the cost is included in standard room and board fees.
No person using the cable television services offered by the University may videotape or copy content in any form except for content that is provided directly by the University.
The cable TV service delivers all content in a digital format and requires a television set, DVR, or conversion box tuner capable of receiving a digital clear QAM signal. To receive HD channels, you need a HD-compatible TV. Check the specifications from your TV manufacturer to determine if it includes the required tuner. There are several types of digital tuners and not all will work with campus cable TV service.
Some less expensive TVs sometimes come with a lower quality QAM tuner that may be unable to pick up all the digital channels. Users with less expensive brands such as Dynex and Insignia reported these types of problems. You can purchase an external QAM tuner conversion box, but it must be a conversion box that is compatible. NTSC and ATSC conversion boxes are NOT compatible. In some cases, it may be a wiser decision to just replace the entire TV.
How to get started
- Plug in TV and connect coaxial cable to wall outlet. Student must provide their own coaxial cable to connect the TV to the wall outlet.
- Run an automatic channel scan for Cable channels. The scan may take a few minutes as the TV looks for all available signals. Please refer to your TV's manual for instructions.
- Once complete, your TV should recognize all the content provided by Penn State that your TV is capable of receiving. You can then tune to the channels just like any other channel. TiVo will NOT work with the standard cable TV service.
For all issues with your Xfinity On Campus or Standard Cable TV, please contact ResCom.