West Housing Area
West Housing Area is located on the north-western side of campus, and was constructed in a traditional collegiate residence style. Brick buildings open onto a quad with symmetrical walkways and arches that lead to the heart of campus. West Housing Area features traditional residence halls housing approximately 1,680 students. More than 600 first-year students reside in West Housing Area, making it the smallest first-year living environment on campus. Break Access/Holiday Housing is offered in Hamilton Hall.
Learn more about West Housing Area!
Traditional Residence Hall Information
Room Types offered in Traditional Residence Halls (some room types may not be available in every building):
- double, traditional
- single, traditional
- single with bath, traditional
- quad, traditional
- triple, traditional
- triple with bath, traditional
- supplemental, traditional (limited, male space only)
General West Housing Area Information
- Waring Commons offers students these amenities:
- Computer lab
- Waring Commons desk
- A classroom
- Cultural lounge
- West Halls Residence Association
- ResCom office
- Hungry students can visit the West Food District, which offers the Waring Square food court (try the famous Chocolate Chip Cookie!) and the West Wing (a la carte sandwiches, subs, salads, sushi, and desserts). Also located in Waring Commons is the organic and all-natural Sisu Store and Coffee Bar.
- Just a short distance from West Housing Area is Recreation Building (Rec Hall), Pattee and Paterno Libraries, and the most famous icon of Penn State - the Nittany Lion Shrine.
Special Living Options offered in West Housing Area
- Break Access/Holiday Housing (Hamilton Hall)
- Ally House
- Engineering (E-House)
- Earth and Mineral Sciences (EMS)
- Information Sciences and Technology (IST)